Once your YouTube channel is monetised, your videos will be eligible to show ads before, during or after the video. To make the most of YouTube ads, you should understand the various advertising formats that YouTube offers. Here are the main ad formats on YouTube and ways to maximise your ad revenue.
YouTube ad formats
YouTube offers the following types of ad formats. If you have enabled monetisation, these ads will be placed before, during, or at the end of your video. YouTube Studio also allows you to choose the format of ads that will be shown in your videos.
- Skippable ads: Viewers can skip these ads after 5 seconds.
- Non-skippable ads: Viewers have to watch the entire 15-20 second ad.
- Bumper ads: These are short, non-skippable 6-second ads that play before a video.
- Overlay ads: These are text or image ads that appear at the bottom of a video. These are only shown while viewing on the desktop.
- Ad pods: Two back-to-back ads that are usually shown in place of skippable or non-skippable ads. These are only shown in videos with a duration of over 5 minutes.
How to earn more revenue
- Make longer videos
Videos longer than 8 minutes are eligible for mid-roll ads. If mid-roll ads are enabled, YouTube places these at random timestamps in your video. To maximise your revenue, you can place these at key points in your video where the audience retention is high.
- Make YouTube-friendly videos
YouTube only allows friendly content (content that has no swear words, violence, inappropriate language, adult content etc.) as suitable for ads. Ensure that your video is advertiser-friendly so that it can be monetized.
- Choose the ad formats
From YouTube Studio, you can choose which type of ads you’d like to show. This can vary from channel to channel. For example, videos that see a significant drop during ads should avoid non-skippable ads, whereas if your audience retention is higher, you can benefit from such ads.
Having put so much effort into creating your videos, it’s now time to reap the rewards. Make advertiser-friendly content and monetise your videos. Go ahead and start earning more revenue with the tips mentioned above.
Interested in getting your YouTube channel seen by a huge audience? Get started here: www.flintzy.com