YouTube’s guidelines and policies turn off comments on your videos if your video is catered to kids. This can also apply to videos featuring children, for example on family channels. YouTube does this to avoid predatory comments directed towards minors. But many creators have faced instances where their comments were disabled for no reason. Here’s what to do in such situations.
Restoring your YouTube comment section
- To recover your comments, first head to YouTube Studio.
- On the left menu, click on ‘Content’.
- In the uploads section, locate the affected video and click on the ‘Edit’ button (pencil icon). This opens the ‘Video details’ page.
- Scroll down to the ‘Audience’ section. Here, look at the selections for the audience and age restrictions.
- Ensure that the audience is set to ‘No, it’s not made for kids, and the age restriction is set to ‘No, don’t restrict my video to viewers over 18 only’.
- Scroll to the bottom of the page to the ‘Comments and ratings’ section.
- Here, make sure that the selection is not ‘Disabled’. Set to any of the other options, based on your preference.
- Finally, click on ‘Save’ on the top-right part of the page to save your changes.
With these steps, you should be able to recover your comments section. Note that YouTube’s policies exist for a reason, so only do this if you’re sure that your content is not for kids or does not feature kids.
Interested in getting your YouTube channel seen by a huge audience? Get started here: www.flintzy.com