Reaction videos are some of the most popular and loved videos on YouTube. A typical reaction video usually features someone watching a film clip/YouTube video or experiencing an unusual product and reacting to it. This surprisingly simple video format has grown to become a huge hit, especially with the younger generation.
However, many creators feature copyright content in their reaction video, which may raise a few eyebrows. So here’s the big question. Does a reaction video breach copyright laws?
The answer is, NO.
We’re here to set the record straight and explain how easy it actually is to create reaction videos legally. Once you start creating them, you are going to simply fall in love with this classic style. Let’s get you to master the process, and you’ll be ready to publish regular reaction videos in no time at all.
1) If you plan on creating reacting videos often, make a video repository where you can dump videos you might be interested in reacting to. Many YouTubers watch a reaction video for the first time while on camera, to make sure they capture the most candid reactions.
2) Angle yourself to one side of your screen. Frame yourself to the left or right, wherever you’re comfortable with. This should give you enough space to play your reaction video on the other corner.
3) Load the reaction video on your phone or computer. Remember to hide your device off the screen. Or you can choose to cover up your device by overlaying it with the reaction video in your editor.
4) Now there are two ways you can record the reaction video. You can play the reaction video and screen record it on your inbuilt phone screen recorder for Android or iOS. If you’re using a computer to record, there are tons of free software like Apowersoft Free Online Screen Recorder you can download.
5) Or you can download the reaction videos on your device. Copy and paste the reaction video’s URL into an online platform like YT1s, and just hit the download button. Downloading a video is the most viable option as you can avoid any buffering and ensure your video quality is top-notch.
6) Place your camera in front of you and record yourself reacting to the video. Be critical, give your feedback and don’t hold back on displaying your emotions. People want big reactions, so show that you’re shocked, appalled or thrilled. Subtle reactions could bore your viewers.
7) Once you’re done, open up your favourite video editor and overlay your reaction video over your recorded video. And that’s it, you’re done!
8) Once you upload your video, you’re most likely going to get a copyrighted claim if you’re not using videos with a Creative Commons license or Copyright free license. This means you will not be allowed to monetize your video. However, you can change this.
Head over to your YouTube analytics > Hover over your video with the copyright claim and click on “see details” > click on “select action” and choose “dispute” from the dropdown options > On the next window, click on “fair use” which means that you aren’t trying to claim the reaction video as your own work > You should be taken to the “provide rationale” section. Here, under the “type of fair use” box, you are required to type “reaction video”. > In the next box, just type out two sentences to justify that you don’t intend to claim the video as your own work, and that you’re simply providing your opinions and feedback while reacting to the video > Hit submit. Your dispute will be sent to review.
You will most likely be allowed to monetize your video but depending on the reaction video, you might have to share your revenue with the copyright owner. Or if the copyright owner does not allow it, you will be unable to monetize your video.
Regardless, this is a legal and easy way to make reaction videos. Rest assured, you are protected under YouTube’s Fair Use policy. So get cracking on creating guilt-free reaction videos without a worry.
Interested in getting your YouTube channel seen by a huge audience? Get started here: www.flintzy.com
- 5 Most Popular Music Genres on YouTube in 2023
- 7 Easy Tips to Write Catchy Song Lyrics
- 9 Fun Faceless YouTube Channel Ideas!
- How to Create a Content Strategy for Travel YouTube Channels
- Harness the Power of YouTube Influencers to Grow Your Channel!
- 7 Fun Ways to Convert Viewers into Subscribers on YouTube